Friday, April 14, 2017

AfterBurner 2: Enhanced Edition

AFTERBURNER celebrates its 30th anniversary this year, so it seemed fitting to produce an ‘Enhanced Edition’ to offer the definite experience to fans of the original.

AfterBurner 2: Enhanced Edition (AEE) is a set of 3 replacement EPROMs intended for use on the original arcade hardware. It is a plug and play solution and no hardware modifications are required.

FEATURING:

  • Stage SelectStart the game from any stage
  • New Music Tracks: 2 new music tracks from Hiro himself
  • High Score Saving: The high score table is retained even when the game is powered off
  • Working Freeplay Mode
  • Attract Mode Sound Options
  • Software Dip Settings: Change all settings in software

VIDEO DEMONSTRATION: 



This is free to owners of the original arcade cabinet. If you would like a copy, please grab a photo of you and your machine and fill in the following form.


Full documentation here


Full gallery of happy customers 
here





13 comments:

Adrian said...

Excellent work Mr. White! On behalf of all After Burner 2 owners around the world I'd like to say a big thank you to you for taking the time to do this. The enhancements add value to what is already a cool game to start with. Well done!

yt said...

Thanks Adrian!

Helder Borges said...

Mr. White I'm really shocked with all this Gorgeous Work.
I'm trying to use your Sega System 16 Sprite Viewer
in my computer Windows 10 to take Altered beast sprites but I just Cant get any result
I really like to ask you this favor I'm doing an research about this game and I Want to see the sprites stuff according with a user Rahan said... I'm about a half a year late, but there's a bunch of interesting unused stuff in Altered Beast
It could fill some gaps in my Research
my email
hcbmetal@Gmail.com

Mr White thank you for all your effort.

Charles Kline said...

Hello,

I sent you a PM on KLOV (I'm not on ukvac)

Can I send you an email if you didn't get it?

Thanks,
-Charles

Unknown said...

I'm close to purchasing the A.B. II Upright arcade. After sending you the selfie with arcade as the OWNER, do you still make your/the eproms? Thank you.

yt said...

Yup. I either provide the files for you to program your own EPROMs (free). Or I can post you the EPROM chips for a fee.

Ml1981 said...

Do u still program these chips I just came across this

yt said...

I don't program the chips myself (mainly due to the time it takes) but can refer you to people who do.

Greg Pugh said...

Quick question about the Afterburner 2 Enhanced. What happens if the music rom isn’t installed in IC17 and instead the old original ROM is there? I just picked up a Afterburner 2 that has your mod installed (as far as I can tell) and it boots but it won’t start a game when set to freeplay (or coin up when not). I’m just wondering if it could be due to a partial installation of 2 of the 3 ROMs.

yt said...

@Greg - If the music ROM isn't installed then it should still work correctly (without the extra music). I'd refit the original ROMs and see if the problem persists, as I doubt it's to do with the new ROMs. One other option could be to clear the Backup RAM in the service menu.

Greg Pugh said...

Sadly I don’t have the original ROMs. I can’t get into the service menu (the physical switch does nothing). Just thought I’d check with you first before sending the board for a repair! Once I get it running I’ll probably want to get a copy of the latest files from you so I can hear the new music :)

yt said...

Hmm... Hard to say in that case. I'm presuming you've checked the continuity of the wiring from the coin/service switches to the PCB edge connector to rule out dodgy wiring?

KaBoom1701 said...

Hello guys. Any way to get contact Chris. I can't seem to upload a pic on his forum. Would love to get these roms for the enhanced version on my cab. Thx